New Yorker Cartoon-Off!

I recently competed with New Yorker cartoonist Farley Katz in a “cartoon-off” Follow the link to see it. LINK

• Posted September 16, 2008 at 11:45 pm

yo sho! the link is all screwy but i think we can figure it out: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonlounge/2008/08/cartoonoff-mich.html

• Sally
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Dear Michael,
    My eye beheld, and found your cartoons to be more subtile, personal, funny and therefore, more beautiful. My eye decided you were the clear winner. However, my brain thought the reaction to your win showed a great lack of humility and was quite disapointed with this display of childishness. I thouht you were a gentleman.
    Sincerely,
    Sally

• Reen
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 9:10 pm

That link works Daniel, thanks for posting it.

Oh Michael, lookie what we have here. Unique and funny cartoons (as usual), fun interview, and before I get carried away – congratulations on getting your own show! No doubt it will be the best thing on television.

Smooooochies,

The Old Broad

• Camille
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 10:05 pm

For a minute I thought my old broad eyes read Renee’s sign off as “smoothies”. That souns delicious.

So glad to see movin’ and shakin’!

• Camille
    Posted September 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm

I just checked the NY site…so funny! Thanks for keepin’ it real,yo.

• Frodo's Lair
    Posted September 19, 2008 at 1:12 am

Your toons were Sho-tastic!! I would never want to live in a world that wasn’t filled with people in sweaters drinking coffee and having (awkward) small talk. You deserved every bite of that hot dog you forfeited.

• Therese
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 5:10 pm

I expected greatness, and got more than that. Y’all are so talented.

• Jaime
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Hey — I think that was MY crazy/cool uncle too. Gasp — are you my brother? Answer: Yes — my funk soul brother.

Yaaay, whimsical Showalter cartoons. Thank you.

• Scott Bateman
    Posted October 16, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Didn’t I challenge you to a cartoon-off like, a year ago? What happened with that?

• coucou couture
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Your New Yorker cartoons in the cartoon-off were very French and blasé. Sort of, what the cartoons would look like if Jean-Paul Sartre edited the New Yorker. I love it! Also, did you realize you just fulfilled a childhood dream: to draw cartoons for the New Yorker [online at that, so it's never crumpled and thrown away] plus you get a hotdog in the mail.

• Posted December 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm

that was really good.

• Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:39 am

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve visited this site before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Regardless, I’m definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back
    regularly!