I’m in London right now. I’m in the lobby of The Jury’s Inn Hotel on Something’ton Road. I’m waiting for cab to take me back to Heathrow. I’ve been here for just shy of a week on some family business. It was a lovely trip and I’m happy to be headed back to the states. I like how in such a short time you can get a read on a city. Here’s what’s shaking in London these last few days.
1) The town is all a-buzz over the thwarted terrorist plot to bomb 10 airplanes and commit mass murder of an “unimaginable scale.” That’s one little thing that’s going on here.
2) Nikki, Lea, Mikey, and Grace were voted off of “Big Brother” but were then voted back on. Sort of. Well, okay, they were voted into a house next door to the “Big Brother” house and one of them will be voted back into the house. Mikey and Grace are hooking up. Mikey was also hooking up with Imogen when he was in the house. Now Imogen is one of the two housemates facing eviction (along with Ricky.) Everyone’s pissed because it cost money to vote the housemates off and now they’re bringing them back on the show. WTF!
3) David Beckham won’t be on the national team anymore. They’ve brought in a new head coach – Mclarren – and he’s making SWEEPING changes. Priority number one, Beckham is yesterday’s news.
4) The Royal phones are being tapped by a London tabloid. Members of Prince Charles’ inner-circle are having their conversation illegally surveilled by the press. It’s fucked up and everyone is pissed as hell about it.
5) A major crime involving a young boy who immigrated to London from Nigeria and who was fatally stabbed by two youths in a Peckham slum has come to a bittersweet end. The two youths, brothers last-named Preddie, who were 12 and 13 at the time of the crime, now 18 and 19, were convicted of manslaughter. This ends six grueling years of emotional trials.
6) Sir Paul McCartney locked Heather Mills out of their house and it embarassed her. It seems like their divorce won’t be amicable.
7) Brits loved food that is “potted.”
8) Starbucks has fully invaded London and I was a prime benefactor.
9) All the pubs have names that follow a formula which is gross word+noun Examples: The Slimy Badger, The Grody Onion, The Scabby Pirate.
God Bless the Queen!